When you need to make an auto insurance claim, you should proceed with care. The steps you take at the beginning of the claims process can greatly affect the amount of compensation you receive. At Shepard & Haven, we work to protect your rights against insurance companies that are only thinking about their bottom line.
What You Should Do
Our lawyers, who have both formerly worked for insurance companies, know how insurers operate. Insurance companies look for any reason to reduce the amount they eventually pay out. To maximize your benefits:
- Document everything about the accident. This includes taking pictures and getting the names and phone numbers of witnesses
- Seek medical care as soon as possible, if necessary, and keep the bills
- Notify your insurance company right away
- Most importantly, speak with one of our experienced attorneys. We can help you interpret your insurance policy to see what is covered and help you gather the information you need
What You Should Not Do
To avoid having your insurance claim denied or delayed, there are some things you should not do:
- Do not give a formal written or recorded statement to the insurance company. Simply notifying them is enough for now.
- Do not accept any check from an insurer that says “final payment” unless you have spoken with your attorney first.
- Do not forget that you have a contract with your insurer. The company is obligated to give you the coverage you have paid for, but you must be persistent in enforcing that obligation.
At Shepard & Haven, we level the playing field between injured people and insurance companies. Insurers have skilled lawyers working for them. You deserve equally skilled attorneys working for you.