When a trucking accident occurs, more than one person or company may be liable for damages. At Shepard & Haven, we conduct a thorough investigation in order to determine who is liable. The trucking company that owns the truck may be liable, as well as the maintenance company that services the truck. In some cases liability falls upon the company that loaded the cargo. The company that hired the truck driver may also be liable. Liability may be shared by more than one person or entity. Rosenblatt Law Firm offers a free initial consultation to discuss your case.
Trucking companies are required to conduct thorough background checks for all employees, particularly truck drivers. Truck drivers must be properly screened before they are hired:
- Did the truck driver have a valid commercial driver’s license?
- Did the truck driver have a driving history that would raise suspicion?
- Was the truck driver previously cited for DUI?
- Was the truck driver properly trained?
- Did the truck driver comply with federal and state regulations?
- Did the truck driver keep accurate driving records?
If the hiring company did not conduct a thorough background check which would have revealed reasons not to employ the driver and an accident occurs, they may be liable for damages in a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit.
DAMAGES FOR TRUCK COMPANY NEGLIGENCE
If you were injured in a commercial truck accident, compensatory damages may be sought for negligent conduct. Damages in a personal injury lawsuit may include:
- Medical, doctor and hospital expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost income, lost future income and loss of earning capacity
- Loss of consortium
- Property damage, which may include automobile repairs or fair value replacement
If a victim lost their life in an accident that was caused by the truck driver, trucking company, cargo loading company, maintenance firm or other responsible party, the survivors may file a wrongful death claim. Speak to your attorney for details.
COMPLIMENTARY CASE EVALUATION WITH SACRAMENTO TRUCK ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS SHEPARD & HAVEN
The multi-billion dollar trucking industry is strictly regulated by federal and state laws. When a driver’s background has not been thoroughly screened and the trucking company knew or should have known that the driver should not have been driving, they may be liable in a personal injury lawsuit. Shepard & Haven provides aggressive, experienced and knowledgeable legal representation to truck accident victims and their families. They will negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf, seeking maximum compensation.